Tudca has been around for centuries, but only recently have the benefits of Tudca supplementation peaked widespread interests.
As it turns out, Tudca offers significant benefits for: liver health, insulin sensitivity, eye health, and neuron health. In comparison to respected liver protectants like milk thistle and pharmaceutical drugs, Tudca supplementation offers superior results at a very modest price.
Here we’re going to cover the benefits of Tudca supplementation as well as the 5 best Tudca supplements you can get your hands on for a reasonable price.
Tudca Stands for Tauroursodeoxycholic acid and is a Natural Bile Salt Metabolite
Tudca is naturally synthesized by the liver as a conjugate of the bile salt ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA). What makes these bile salts important, is that they are water soluble and therefor capable of dissolving fat-soluble bile acids that become toxic to the liver.
Ursodeoxycholic acid is so effective that it is utilized as an expensive prescription drug for treating liver cirrhosis and gallstones.
To our delight, the Tudca derivative appears to be just as effective as UDCA, costs far less, and doesn’t require a prescription. Triple win.
But the benefits don’t stop there. Tudca also has direct interactions with the endoplasmic reticulum of cells, where it reduces stress. That is where even more benefits from this bile salt originate from.
Tudca Supplementation Heals the Liver and Revitalizes the Body
The main benefit that brings the most attention to Tudca supplementation is its ability to heal the liver. This is especially prevalent in individuals with liver damage caused by sports training, steroid use, high cholesterol, improper diet, and alcoholism.
In fact, we consider Tudca to be more effective than Milk Thistle, the most popular natural liver protectant.
Here are studies demonstrating the liver benefits of Tudca supplementation:
- A 2010 study from Spain published in Cell Death and Disease set out to evaluate the effects of Tudca during partial hepatectomy (partial liver removal) of Steatonic (fatty) and non-steatonic livers. It is common for both steatonic and non-steatonic livers to become damaged and experience a slow and sometimes compromised rate of recovery due to partial hepatectomy. Part of this stress may be due to the drug ischemia–reperfusion (I/R) which is applied to reduce blood flow during surgery. Researchers found that Tudca has the potential to protect both steatonic (fatty) and non-steatonic livers from injury and regeneration failure after partial liver removal (using I/R). This protective effect is linked to a reduction of stress on the endoplasmic reticulum in hepatocytes.
- A 2013 double-blind randomized control trial published in the Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology set out to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Tudca in the treatment of liver cirrhosis (scaring/fibrosis) . They determined that Tudca is safe and more effective than pharmaceutical UDCA for treating cirrhosis liver. However they did not find a significant effect on serum liver markers for distinct liver fibrosis (what we believe to be late stage).
Clearly, Tudca has important liver protecting and restoring qualities. It appears that Tudca both competes with and removes toxic elements from the liver, while also reducing toxic fallout from bodily stressors in the liver that result in liver cell death.
And from what we’ve read, these protectant benefits which occur mostly in the endoplasmic reticulum of liver hepatocytes may also occur in other organ cells.
Beyond Liver Health, Tudca Supplementation Benefits Weight Loss and Insulin Sensitivity
As you have read above, Tudca has the ability to de-toxify, de-stress, and even restore the liver. This is important to the whole body, considering that the liver is chiefly responsible for breaking down toxic compounds that can harm other organs.
It’s sensible for one to say that a healthy liver means a healthy body.
With that being said, here are studies suggesting that Tudca benefits weight loss, diabetes, and IBS (Irritable bowl syndrome).
Editor’s Note: While Tudca appears to be a possible therapy for these conditions, it is unclear if benefits are the direct effect of tudca on select organs and processes, or if this is all attributed to a healthy and properly functioning liver. Regardless, we are still impressed.
- A 2011 study published in the Obesity Journal evaluated the relationship between insulin resistance and free fatty acid induced adipocyte inflammation. This is to say that a high fat diet causes inflammation in the liver, which in turn results in insulin resistance. What they found, was that inflammation of the liver could be reduced by Tudca, which in turn promoted proper insulin sensitivity.
- A very interesting 2013 study published in Biomaterials sought out to evaluate Tudca’s effect on adipogenesis caused by endoplasmic reticulum stress. The results confirmed that Tudca reduced ER stress in adipogenic tissue (fat tissue), which resulted in less new fat mass. This suggests that Tudca supplementation may have potential as an anti-obesity therapy.
- A 2011 study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America sought to evaluate the relationship between insulin signaling and ER stress. What they found, was that ER stress resulted in insulin resistance. Correlations were also found between ER stress and mitochondrial function. The application of Tudca was found to relieve ER stress which resulted in proper insulin sensitivity and mitochondrial function.
- A very convincing 2011 study published in the Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications sought to evaluate the effect of Tudca supplementation on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). They were particularly interested in Tudca’s ability to reduce ER stress in cells, as predominantly noticed in liver cells. What they found, was that Tudca did in fact reduce ER stress in intestinal cells, which in turn alleviated symptoms of IBS.
Proper Liver health, intestinal health, fat moderation, and insulin sensitivity regulation are very noteworthy benefits. But that’s not all. Tudca is also under investigation as a potential therapy for certain neurological conditions.
Tudca Supplementation May also be Neuro-protective and therapeutic for Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s Disease, and Prions
This research is much more experimental than the benefits that we have listed above, but still relevant and worth touching on.
It appears that Tudca’s ability to universally (or near universally) reduce ER stress can translate into neuro-protective capabilities, as well as the prevention of protein miss-folds responsible for many neurological conditions.
Alzheimers Exploratory Research Using Tudca
- A recent 2014 rat-modeled study set out to evaluate the effect of Tudca on rats with onset Alzheimer’s disease. In the massive study, which you can see here: Using Tudca to treat Alzheimer’s Disease after Pathology Onset, researchers concluded that Tudca may be effective at both prevention and therapy of Alzheimer’s disease. If you would like to learn more, we recommend reading the whole paper. Parts of it are not in English, but if you continue scrolling down, you will find the English versions available.
Huntington’s Exploratory Research Using Tudca
- Researchers believe that Tudca may be able to prevent death of key neuron cells in patients with huntingtons disease. All of this is extremely exploratory, and for updates and information we recommend this HOPES page: Huntington’s Outreach Project for Education which is provided by Stanford University.
Prion (Mad Cow Disease in humans) Exploratory Research Using Tudca
- Again, we’ve got to say that this research is extremely exploratory. But, Mad Cow disease is a legit thing, and a terrible, terrible way to go. In a 2015 canadian study published in the Journal of Virology, researchers examined the effect of Tudca on brain culture slices infected with Prions. What they discovered, was that Tudca may interfere with the seeding ability of Prions. This is of significance because Tudca is non-toxic and able to cross the blood brain barrier.
There you have the long and still growing list of Tudca benefits. When we first began experimenting and researching this bile acid, we had no idea how many crazy benefits there were. So next, we’re going to cover what Tudca supplements we recommend you take based on our research and personal experience sampling.
Editor’s Note: While personally reviewing Tudca supplements, we didn’t find significant differences between the affordable Tudca supplements and the super expensive Tudca supplements. When we took them, they acted the same, and on the labels contain the exact same ingredients. With that being said, this list will both save you money and get you the highest quality supplement.
Additional Note: Not all of the Tudca Supplements we experimented with worked well. We did not include any of the lesser performing Tudca supplements on this list. Below are strictly the best.
Top 5 Best Tudca Supplements
#1 Nutricost Tudca in 30, 60, and multi-packs
Out of every Tudca supplement that we’ve tried, Nutricost was our favorite. Its affordable, easy to swallow, and available on amazon prime.
Nutricost provides hundreds of different single ingredient products, and is a brand that we trust.
When you compare cost to effectiveness, Nutricost Tudca is the winner.
#2 Mind and Body Tudca – 60 capsules
Mind and Body Tudca worked well for us, but this brand is less known and the source on amazon that we purchased it from appears to be a different company.
For us, the Tudca was still effective, we just prefer to purchase from the more well-known and trusted brand. Especially when prices are comparable.
#3 GSS Tudca Powder – 25 grams (if you don’t mind the taste of bile acid)
GSS Tudca powder is another option, if you require stocking up in bulk. The only downside, is that you are now drinking bile acid, which, has quite the psychological puke inducing effect.
Honestly, its worth it to get Tudca in pill form.
#4 Element Nutraceuticals Tudca
Element Nutraceuticals is known for producing semi hardcore supplements for mental performance and muscle growth. Its important to note, that not all of these products that they sell are necessarily science backed or exceptionally safe.
For that, plus their lack of Tudca sales, we couldn’t rank their Tudca high on our list.
We were pleased with taking Element Nutraceuticals Tudca, but it didn’t produce the highest quality results for our staff members who took this version.
#5 Olympus Labs Tudca
Olympus Labs, similar to Element Nutraceuticals, is more of a hardcore brand. While taking their Tudca, staff members had similar results to Element Nutraceuticals, presenting the possibility that they source their tudca from the same place.
While our experience was decent, it is worth noting that they have some bad reviews for their Tudca.
Specifically, that the quality isn’t always constant. For that, we ranked them last on our top 5 tudca supplements list.
However, it’s important to note that we tested 11 total brands, and found these 5 to be the best.
Conclusion on Tudca Supplementation
Tudca is one of those products that has overwhelmingly positive benefits. For anyone who questions the health of their liver – Tudca is a supplement to consider. Its stress elevating effects on cell endoplasmic reticulum’s lead to all sorts of positive effects in the body.
Have you tried Tudca? Do you have a favorite Tudca brand? Leave your comments, experiences, and questions below!